A while ago, I made the resolution that I wanted to run a half marathon. Don't ask me where this crazy idea came from, it is just something that I wanted to do. I decided that I really wanted to accomplish this feat prior to my 30th birthday and Nate's first birthday.
Yesterday, I accomplished my goal!
 |
| Just after crossing the finish line (and finding the boys in the crazy crowd!) |
 |
| Just about to reach the finish line. I was so excited! |
I ran in the NYC Half Marathon and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The course starts in Central Park, with the first half of the course being a run around the park. That was followed by an amazing run into Times Square (one of only two times all year that they close it off - the other being New Year's Eve). Running through Times Square seriously felt like flying - it was absolutely incredible. After Times Square, we ran out to the West Side Highway and ran the last part of the course down that way, past the Freedom Tower, through a tunnel near Battery Park and then into South Street Seaport for the finish line.
 |
| With Nate, EARLY in the morning, before leaving the house |
It was FREEZING - literally! I think it was 31 degrees when I crossed the start line, and when we looped around again 6 miles later, it was down to 30 degrees! Of course, when I finished I was plenty warm for a few minutes, but the cold hit me about 20 minutes later. I was very happy to get in to the car and warm up on our ride back to Jersey.
 |
| After the race, and just before I began to realize just how cold it was! |
Jonathan and Nate were awesome cheerleaders - not only during the run, but also as I trained. Properly training for a half marathon takes a lot of time and dedication, and Jonathan made sure I got out and ran as much as I needed to. He encouraged me on cold days and always helped out by making recovery meals for me after my long runs and, of course, taking excellent care of Nate while I was training.
 |
| Me with Nate at the finish line! |
I'm really proud that I accomplished my goal - I can turn 30 now!
 |
| My number |
 |
| Onesie I made for Nate - the race was on St. Patrick's Day, so he obviously needed a cool shirt to wear! |
 |
| My official stats! Came in way under my goal of 2:30 |
 |
| Starting line. It took my group almost a half an hour to get there from where we were lined up! This race was HUGE! |
 |
| Nate, protected from the elements in his stroller |
 |
| Eating a green bagel, it was St. Patrick's Day, after all! |
No comments:
Post a Comment