============================================================

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Fluffy Butt!!!

Our kid is going to have a fluffy butt and we couldn't be more excited!!!

Jonathan and I made the decision to cloth diaper for several reasons, the first of which is that Jonathan had some pretty bad sensitivities to the chemicals in disposables when he was a little guy, so we want to be prepared in case Little Man has those same sensitivities.  Other reasons? As I began to research cloth diapering, I quickly realized how much money we would save by using cloth instead of disposables!  One can literally save THOUSANDS of dollars!  Wow!  It also can be healthier for little ones overall, and research has shown that kids who are cloth diapered generally potty train much faster.  Also - little fluffy cloth diapered butts are just SO DARN CUTE!!!  A wonderful thing that I have found is that cloth diapering is becoming much more mainstream these days, so there are TONS of resources and support available.

Not sold on it?  That's fine.  Before you tell me your horror story about how hard cloth is, or how disgusting it can be, let me be clear - I *PROMISE* that I will not ask you to come over and do my diaper laundry.  (Though doing CD laundry consists of dumping the diapers out of the wet bag as well as the wet bag into the washing machine.  Add detergent.  Turn on water.  The end.)  Feel better about it now?  Good.  Every single friend that I have spoken with who cloth diapers has had nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about it.  Jonathan and I are excited and confident in our decision to cloth diaper!

As I began my research, I came across a local small business specializing in cloth diapers, Green Bean Babies.  It is a husband and wife team and they specialize in educating parents about cloth.  I have to say, these are pretty great people.  They invited us into their home to learn about all of our options for cloth diapers, and have responded quickly to my copious amounts of e-mails with answers to my TONS of questions about what we should order and such.  Even better, we ordered on Tuesday night, and they dropped the order off at our house on Friday afternoon.  Such a pleasure to be able to support a local small business!

Sooo... what did we get?  So glad you asked.  Here we go...

The "goods"
4 (out of 6 - 2 are currently out of stock) Rumparooz Lil Joey newborn covers.  We'll be using prefolds inside these covers. These are meant for babies 4-12 lbs.
6 Thirsties DuoWrap Covers - we'll be using prefolds in them during the day and fitteds in them for overnight protection.   These covers are sized for 6-18 lb babies, so we will get some good use out of them.
5 (out of 6 - 1 was out of stock) Thirsties Duo Fab Fitted diapers  - we intend to use these for better overnight protection underneath the Thirsties covers.
6 Best Bottoms covers.  These are one size diapers and will likely be a little large on Little Man when he is a newborn, but we fell in love with the Best Bottoms diapering system, so we decided we'd get some to use as soon as he can fit into them.    They will last through potty-training.  They work with a snap-in insert and are VERY user friendly - should be good for babysitters and daycare!
Here we have 3 packages (6 per package) of OsoCozy Unbleached Indian Prefolds (for use inside the Rumparooz and Thirsties covers), 10 Hemp/Organic cotton Best Bottom inserts, and 4 Hemp/Organic cotton Best Bottom overnight inserts.
We ordered a package of OsoCozy flushable diaper liners, which can be very useful if baby has a tummy bug or once he is on solid foods for easier clean-up of bowel movements.  Also pictured are three packages (12 per package) of bumGenius reusable cloth wipes.  If we're going green, we might as well go for reusable wipes!

We got Rockin' Green laundry detergent to wash our diapers/wipes as well as some "Funk Rock" to help do a deep cleaning of the diapers when they start to get a bit funky!
Here are our Planet Wise wet bags.  This is where you store the dirty diapers.  We got two large bags to keep with the changing table (one will pretty much be in the wash at any given time), and four small bags - 2 for my diaper bag and 2 for Jonathan's.  
They threw this button in with our order - it's cute, it says "We cloth diaper, do you?"
So that is everything we ordered to start our cloth diapering adventure.  Are there TONS of other brands out there?  Absolutely!  In fact, Mom has gotten us two other cloth diapers in different brands that I look forward to trying.  We're going to see how these work for us and will eventually add more to the stash as we see what works and what doesn't for Little Man.  I'm very excited to wash all of these and get them ready for his arrival!  Hooray for fluffy butts! :)

2 comments:

  1. That is soooo exciting. We stopped using them with Jackson and it makes me so sad. I wanted to use them for Charley, then decided against it, and now after seeing all of your loot, I really want to again. You already know this but you will LOVE it!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stylin' stash! We've had many friends and family members go from "gross" to "cool" after seeing how easy (and CUTE!) cloth diapers can be. Your little man will be so cute an comfy in his diapers! p.s. We're familiar with the "fluffy butt" phenomenon - Annie was consistently in 1-2 sizes bigger pants until she started walking. Enjoy enjoy!

    ReplyDelete