============================================================

Monday, August 22, 2011

Pee Stick Carnage...

Okay, so I've been planning to write this post for a while, just haven't gotten around to it until now.  I believe I fessed up to this before.... but we knew we were pregnant a few days before my first beta blood test.  Here's the story of how that all went down.

The weekend after my transfer, it took everything in me not to pee on a stick.  I knew logically that it was too soon, but I still went into the bathroom each morning, held the one and only pregnancy test I had in the house (leftover from our first IUI last fall - I hadn't even bothered to take a test in any of the following four IUIs), and talked myself out of testing.

So I made it through that weekend, but had decided I would test on Monday morning - 6 days post 5 day transfer - or 11 days post ovulation.  A pregnancy test should pick up on hCG at that point, but I knew that even if it was negative, I still had a few days to go until I was out for sure. 

I woke up at 3 in the morning to pee, and decided that it was time to break out the pregnancy test.  Early tests work better with first morning urine, after all.  I took it out and peed on it, and as I did, I knew it would be negative.  I was absolutely convinced of the worst and started kicking myself for testing.

So I put the cap back on the test, set it on the windowsill in the bathroom and almost started to cry.  I spent a minute or so second guessing myself and decided to go ahead and look at the test a bit early so I could see the negative result and go back to bed. 

I was SHOCKED when I looked at the test and saw a line appearing.  It was kind of faint, but I knew it was a positive test. 

So, what did my normal, sane self do???  I ran into the bedroom, threw the light on, and woke Jonathan up so he could see it!  He agreed that it looked positive.  We were both really excited, but fortunately for him, he was able to get back to sleep.  I, on the other hand, couldn't get back to sleep after that.

I have been posting on a forum all summer in an IVF group, and there is a spot on this website to post your tests.  I posted a picture of this test at about 4 AM, and everybody seemed to agree that it looked like a positive test, but that since it was a blue dye test, which are notorious for false positives, I should follow it up with a better quality pink dye test.  Jonathan agreed to pick some up on the way home from work, and I would test again later.

Jonathan came home with two First Response Early Result tests, and two digital pregnancy tests.  In his excitement, he basically threw the tests at me and demanded I go pee right then and there.  It was cute to see just how excited and nervous he was.  I warned him that at early stages, you often need first morning urine to get a positive result, so he shouldn't be upset if we don't see anything.  I peed again.  I didn't even need to wait the 2 or 3 minutes (whatever it is) before we saw a beautiful second line appear.


Of course, we were thrilled.  We went out to dinner with his parents and sister that evening, and when I got home, I peed on a digital, just for fun! :)

So at this point, we knew things looked good.  When you try to conceive for a while, there is nothing more beautiful than a positive pregnancy test, so the madness continued.

Tuesday morning:

Tuesday evening, Jonathan bought me some more tests, but got some random cheap off brand.  Wednesday morning when I woke up, I didn't read the directions, and peed on the test for 5 seconds instead of the 10 that the directions said (stupid off brand).  I got a really faint line and freaked out.  I had read so much about chemical pregnancies, I was sure something was terribly wrong.  Jonathan ran out to the drugstore and bought me new, quality tests, and I peed again.  Beautiful, dark line.  Crisis averted.


The next morning was our beta pregnancy test.  I peed on one last stick, just to be sure!


Somewhere along the line, I peed on the second cheap test (for 10 secs this time) and the other digital.  Once all was said and done, here is the pee stick carnage that was leftover:


So, am I a little bit crazy for peeing on all of those sticks?  Yes!  But when you've peed on as many negative pregnancy tests as I have, you deserve to pee on a ton of overpriced pregnancy tests, just so you can see that glorious positive result!

You can all laugh at me in the comments section of this post now! :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're crazy at all! Have you seen my pee-stick carnage??... and its still growing!

    ReplyDelete