Things start to happen tomorrow, so we picked up our meds today.
We get my meds from a specialty pharmacy. When I took the Ovidrel and Clomid, I got a small bag. When we moved up to the Bravelle and Ovidrel, I got a medium-sized bag (seemed big at the time!). When we picked up the many, many meds today, I got the big bag.
This bag was filled with all my meds for this IVF cycle. There are some basic items in there, as well as the meds. We start with a bag of 50 syringes with 1 1/2" needles, a bag of 15 smaller needles to attach to the syringes for my SC injections, and a new sharps container with some alcohol swabs.
There are many different protocols for IVF, and this is the one my doctor has chosen for me based on all of my other test results. It is an "Antagonist" protocol... I have also heard it referred to as an "Estrace prime" protocol.
Tomorrow morning, I go in for a blood test, and if all goes well, I start taking Estradiol (Estrace) tomorrow night and continue until day 3 of my next cycle
I also have to take an antibiotic for the next week.
On day 1 of my next cycle, I call the doctor's office and schedule an appointment to go in on day 2 for another blood test and ultrasound. That evening, I start my stimulation meds, Menopur and Follistim. I have to mix these two drugs together using a combination of the "Pen" that the Follistim comes with and my syringe. These will be SC injections and should last approximately 7-10 days. The purpose of these injections is to stimulate the ovaries.
Jonathan also gets to start taking an antibiotic.
On day 6 of my cycle, I go in for another blood test and ultrasound. At this point, the doctor will call me to let me know if I keep the same doses or if I have to made adjustments. He will also let me know when to start my Cetrotide. That will act to keep me from ovulating prematurely. These are also SC injections.
From this point on, I will most likely have to go to the doctor every morning until I tkae my hCG injection. When that happens, I discontinue my other medications. I have to take the hCG at a specific time at night as it is what will induce ovulation. The egg retrieval will occur 36 hours later.
The next morning, I have a blood test and pick up my pre-op instructions - AND NO MEDS! Hooray!
On the day of my retrieval (which is surgery with IV sedation), I start to take Cipro and Medrol for the next four days. During my procedure, Jonathan gets to go (ahem) do his part of this project.
The next day, we will get a call regarding the fertilization and information about my transfer. That night, I start progesterone injections (with the BIG SCARY NEEDLE) in the backside. This is what I am dreading the most. There are three vials of progesterone in that bottle, and I start with using 1/2 cc on the first day and then move it up to 1 cc. If the IVF is successful and I get pregnant, I will continue with these injections until the 8th-10th week of pregnancy.
On either the third or fifth day after the retrieval, we will have our embryo transfer. On the day of the transfer, I start taking the Estrace again (and continue if I end up being pregnant). I also have been given a Valium to take 1 hour prior to transfer. The transfer isn't a particularly invasive procedure, much less so than some of the tests I've had to endure, so the best I can figure is that the Valium is to keep them from having crazy, hormonal women yelling at them while they transfer the embryos!
Two weeks after the retrieval is when I have my first pregnancy blood test. If it is positive, I continue with the Estrace and progesterone until I am instructed to stop. I also will go back for blood tests every two days to make sure my beta levels are doubling. Assuming all is good, then I will get my first ultrasound about two weeks later.
In the bottom of this large bag of meds is a small bag of kisses. I have gotten this with every order from the pharmacy - but this one is a little more full than the others... perhaps they save the bigger bags of chocolate for the gals who have to use the big needles!!
So that's what is about to go down in a nutshell. Of course, all of this is best case scenario. A cycle can be cancelled at any point along the way for any number of reasons... but we're going to stay positive that this cycle moves forward the way it is planned! For now, however, I need to go to bed so I can wake up early for my blood test in the morning...



Wow that is a lot of drugs! We are rooting for you and can't wait to hear about your pregnancy. Its gonna happen. I can feel it. Sending good vibes your way!
ReplyDeleteAww, thanks for the good vibes, Steph! We need all we can get! :)
ReplyDelete