============================================================

Thursday, June 2, 2011

So Strange...

Jonathan and I started talking tonight about how strange it is that we are doing IVF.  We've known since we started treatments last year that this is where things could be headed if the IUIs failed or if any other medical issues arose (or, in our case, both happened at once), but the fact that we are actually here is strange to us.  I think since last week, when we found out that this is what was definitely happening, we've thrown ourselves into learning as much as we can about IVF, and haven't taken much time to just sit and think about what our new reality is.

Often, we hear about celebrities going through IVF, and I've never really thought twice about it... but us?  We're regular people!!  I don't actually personally know anyone who has gone through this!  I know of a few people - friends of friends and such - but no one I actually have a personal relationship with has ever gone through this (well, to my knowledge anyway).  It just seems so surreal that we are now joining the IVF club.  Infertility in general seems to have gotten a lot more press in recent years - it's becoming less taboo and people are definitely talking about it more.  It has even worked its way into sitcoms and whatnot.  The funny thing is, almost everything shown on television is completely wrong!!  Jonathan and I have been watching Ugly Betty reruns on DVD lately, and they portrayed the egg retrieval process with the character talking on her cell phone while the doctor sucked out the eggs... not quite the process I'll go through (IV sedation and needle aspiration of the ovaries, an hour or so in recovery, and the rest of the day off my feet more or less).   I guess seeing fictional portrayals of IVF has contributed to this feeling of how strange it is that we are going through this!

As strange as it is, it is so comforting to know that Jonathan and I are going through this together.  Baby or no baby, at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment